This summer, I have set several goals for myself. This is my first experience in the professional world and in a big city, and I fully intend to make the most out of my time.
- I want to learn the role of public relations at Discovery Communications to be able to experience a career field I had never considered before. I want to ask questions and I want to be a good listener so that I can grow and understand my experiences.
- I want to network with as many people as possible – not just to enhance my career, but also to enhance my personal relationships with people in general.
- I want to be the first one in the door and the last one out. I have a lot of people that I would like to impress and I want to do everything in my power to make it happen. It would be amazing to be asked to stay on board with Discovery Channel after my internship is over.
- I want to wake up early enough in the mornings to train for my half-marathon coming up in November. I know myself and I know that if I plan to work out after I get off work that I will never actually do it. I am not usually a morning person, so training myself to wake up at 6 am every morning to exercise scares the heck out of me. But, as they say, “no pain, no gain.”
- I want to prepare myself for the GRE. I have all of the study books I could ever imagine, so there is no excuse for me to not utilize my resources and to make an amazing score. My top choice school is University of Miami for an MA in Multimedia Journalism.
- And, of course, this wouldn’t be me if I didn’t add that I want to explore all of the local restaurants. I hate chain restaurants because they are so impersonal. Local places always provide their own unique flair and I am hoping to find some hole-in-the-wall places while I am there.
I definitely have my work cut out for me. But, I figured if I am in a new city with nothing to do with my time except to gain experience and to better myself, I might as well make the most out of it.